Friday, July 31, 2009

Paradise Lost, Paradise Found?




Atlantis is an amazing resort. Ten plus water features, Ten marine exhibits and a dozen or so restaurants, not to mention the private beaches and sea ports. Once here, you never have to leave this man-made paradise. It is sucessful in making you believe there is nothing beyond its boundaries.....
But there is.
I am admittedly more than a little disappointed with myself that I didn't give enough attention to the true paradise:
Places like the "fish fry" a long row of small, open air shacks, painted in bright colors, here the natives will serve all types of seafood prepared for you all day and well into the night or the long tented flea market building that is packed so FULL of t-shirts, carved objects and jewelry that the air seems to literally hold you in place......until you buy something.
The Bahamians have the best smiles, they want nothing more than to share their island with the tourists, they are proud and welcoming....I might be remembering: our taxi driver with a bit of nostalgia as he drove up to this huge resort when we first arrived - knowing that he would be leaving us there at the feet of Atlantis, like its namesake, a world under water, out of reach, fantastical, fabricated....
I might be remembering, only now that I am home, having glimpsed out of the window of the bus that took me to the airport, the real place, as I should have experienced it, as it was before the big resort that sprouted out of the sea to cast it shadow on the simple...
I didn't look back, though I should have....

2 comments:

  1. what are you doing posting your blogs at 4am??? Makes me homesick to look at the pictures... so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coucou Ma douce Nanie ..Je trouve tes photos aussi magnifique quelle chance tu as ..La prochaine fois tu prendras plus de photos du market , c'est comme cela que l'on imprime plus profondement ses souvenirs ..Bisous ..

    ReplyDelete